MAY is MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity) AWARENESS Month and if you haven’t already checked out what the Dynamic Neural Retraining System can do to get you living a happy barrier free life – there is no more time to waste!
MCS can present itself differently in every individual, and a clear definition continues to be debated and restrictively defined in all fields -yet another challenging obstacle for people suffering from Multiple Chemical Sensitivities – so for our purposes we will quote Annie Hopper herself in an interview with Planet Thrive where she clearly defines MCS as “an acquired toxic brain injury that impairs limbic system function, affecting areas of the brain such as the hypothalamus, amygdala, hippocampus, and cingulate cortex. Where the initial injury may heal, the brain gets stuck in a repetitive trauma pattern”. This condition can be so severe that many people who have MCS also have MCAS – Mast Cell Activation Syndrome, where chemical and other exposures cause anaphylaxis.
People with MCS are often called “canaries” after the birds that miners would take down to the coal mines with them to warn them of the presence of any toxic gases. The colours of ribbons used to symbolize MCS are yellow and green, yellow for the canary and green for the environment. This year on May 12, 2018, marks the 26th year for an international MCS Awareness Day. The day was founded by Tom Hennessey, founder of RESCIND, INC or (Repeal Existing Stereotypes about Chronic Immunological and Neurological Diseases. While Mr. Henessy was American he recognized the need for an international awareness event. May 12 was chosen in honour of the birth date of Florence Nightingale, the English army nurse who inspired the founding of the International Red Cross and became chronically ill in her mid-thirties with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue like illness. In Canada, in 2006 the Senate proclaimed May 12 to be a National Awareness Day for Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS.
Notable dates in the development of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Awareness
- 1952, First known cases of MCS, Chicago, Dr. Theron Randolph observes several patients have a “petro – chemical problem” in that they become ill when passing through the heavily industrialized areas of northwest Indiana and south Chicago.
- 1965 – It is said that because of a lack of acceptance to what he was uncovering, Dr. Randolph founds the Society for Clinical Ecology which later becomes the American Academy of Environmental Medicine.
- 1974 – First known cases of “sick building syndrome.”
- 1979- U.S> District Court in Hawaii rules that MCS can be disabling, and orders the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare Division to provide Social Security benefits to an MCS patient.
- 1984 – A California bill to require research on MCS is passed in both houses of state legislature, but is opposed by California Medical Association.
- 1990 – The Americans with Disabilities ACT (ADA) is signed into law – by definition this act covers people with MCS. Department of housing and development (HUD) recognizes the MCS as a disability and the department of Justice considers MCS to be a handicap.
- 1992 – Thousands of Persian Gulf veterans return from the war complaining of symptoms which are very similar to MCS.
- A major prime-time TV series “Northern Exposure” illustrates MCS with a central character who has chronic MCS and lives in an environmental dome in rural Alaska.
- 1995 – The European Commission produces a report “Chemical Sensitivity in Selected European Countries: AN Exploratory Study.” This report suggests that MCS is a global phenomenon.
- 1997 – ABC broadcasts an episode of 20/20 entitled “Allergic to the World” in which reporter John Stossel depicts MCS as a psychiatric disorder – causes major outcry from clinical ecologists and MCS sufferers.
- 2000 – Nova Scotia bans the use of fragrances and chemical hair products in public places. This is the first city (YAY Canada) to take direct action to accommodate their MCS community by improving air quality in this way, this is a landmark victory for MCS sufferers everywhere.
- 2004 – MCS is recognized, defined and described in the Merck manual. This manual is heavily used my mainstream physicians and contains all encounter able disorders.
- US Scientists legitimize Gulf War Syndrome.
A Minnesota woman is fired from her job at Target Corporation, because she refuses not to wear her perfume. A strong message and step towards the rights of MCS sufferers.
- 2005 – Perfume allergy case brings a $10m judgement. A jury awards $10.6 million to one-time radio host who was fired after complaining a co-workers perfume made her sick and her employer , Infinity broadcasting, would not accommodate her.
- In 2008, Annie Hopper founded The Dynamic Neural Retraining System in Victoria BC Canada, a drug free, neuroplasticity-based healing approach to rewire chronic illness disease patterns in the brain as seen in Chemical Sensitivities, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia and many other chronic illnesses – and begins to revolutionize how MCS is understood, defined, treated, and often times reversing the course of illness and changing the trajectory of people’s lives. see testimonials at www.retraingthebrain.com/success-stories
This timeline gives a cohesive snapshot of the growing accreditation of multiple chemical sensitivity disorder over the years. What is most concerning is that there continues to be so much misguided information out there and the Dynamic Neural Retraining System are in constant contact with clients who have been through so much pain, alienation, financial losses before they reach the system, that is our ultimate goal – to reach those that need the help and get it to them sooner. Because we know it works, and we know it can work for you! Let Dan tell you in his own words.
“I was sick with MCS 95% of the time – with headaches, nausea, and extreme weakness when exposed to triggers. I lived totally isolated from human contact except on rare occasions when family came over to see my mom. I would get major anxiety and flu-like symptoms when they came over, because of the chemical products they used and their unwillingness to accommodate my illness. My mother was the only one who would live chemical free for me. She took care of me – I needed assistance because of all the combined problems.
How did things get this bad? My health took a brutal turn for the worse around the year 2005. I was depressed and had major stress from an ugly divorce, major neck injury that required epidurals and many physical therapy sessions, a long time back problem that worsened, business gone bad, financial problems that led to my moving in with my mother, beginning – and three months later, ending – a new relationship, functional alcoholism, and addiction to pain killers – for openers. A few years later after all of these stressful circumstances accumulated, I started to get bizarre pains all over my body. Around this same time I lived in two homes that had mold. While all this was occurring, I moved many times to find a safe house or room. It was extremely difficult at best. I was sick most of the time in all the places I stayed. Thanks to Annie Hopper’s Dynamic Neural Retraining System™ (DNRS), I was only afflicted with these diseases for five years. I was obsessed with obtaining good health.
Before finding the DNRS program, I tried everything under the sun in the way of treatment and health aids. I spent my whole life savings, over $450,000, and lost my home. I was homeless for about one and a half years on and off. I lost 98% of my friends and family, no phone calls from friends and very few from family – as many with environmental illness experience. I did 90% of the Gupta retraining DVD program with no results. I went back and forth to Mexico, for about four months, for stem cell therapy. It was a nightmare and only worked for a while, with limited results.
About two and a half months into DNRS my MCS was completely gone.
I was starting to feel normal again! Once I conquered the outside allergies without even focusing on them, my confidence and positive attitude exploded.”
“I would not do Annie’s DNRS program justice by trying to describe it here with my words. I recommend you read the testimonies and visit her website. It could save your life, like it did mine. ”
There is so much more that needs to be done in the awareness and education for people afflicted with a Multiple Chemical Sensitivity condition – and more importantly to direct them to the Dynamic Neural Retraining System- a carefully formulated approach to reversing symptoms of MCS and breaking down the barriers MCS builds in order for people to live and love life again!
“You are not alone, your suffering has not been in vain, and you can live the life you dreamed of , even if you stopped dreaming a long time ago.”
Annie Hopper – Wired for Healing